RSS News Feed

Latest Cup News

Posted 30th August 2010, 08:08 in

Premier League Cup Results

The all-new FA Tesco Premier League Cup format kicked-off on Sunday, with the first round of group fixtures.

Sunday August 29th

GROUP 1: Barnet 4-0 Colchester United, Queens Park Rangers 1-1 West Ham United
GROUP 2: Preston North End 1-2 Curzon Ashton, Rochdale 0-4 Blackburn Rovers
GROUP 3: Cardiff City 2-0 Watford, Coventry City 1-1 Aston Villa
GROUP 4: Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Charlton Athletic, Gillingham 2-2 Millwall Lionesses
GROUP 5: Manchester City 1-3 Leicester City WFC, Nottingham Forest 4-1 Derby County
GROUP 6: Portsmouth 4-2 Keynsham Town, Yeovil Town 0-2 Reading
GROUP 7: Newcastle United 1-4 Leeds City Vixens, Sunderland 1-1 Leeds United

Barnet boasted the highest score of the day, beating Colchester United 4-0. Holly Sandow netted a hat-trick and Alexandra Keown was also on target.

West Ham took the lead against QPR in the second half through Becky Merritt but having fielded all their substitutes they had to play the closing stages with ten players, after Jo Woodgates departed with a suspected disclocated shoulder. Despite this, they looked to have done enough to earn the points, until Rangers grabbed an equaliser 3 minutes into injury time from Ellen Maggs, amidst vehement claims from the Hammers for handball.

Curzon Ashton came back from a goal down at the break to post a 2-1 win at Preston in Group 2. Laura Walker's effort was cancelled out by Jodie Redgrave, before Nicky Maylett netted a 75th-minute decider.

Blackburn Rovers banged in four goals without reply at Rochdale. Levi Penny's 13th-minute goal was the ony difference at the break but Danielle Sheen doubled the lead 2 minutes after the restart. Nicky Twohig got the third after 71 minutes and Charlotte Farrell (pictured right) wrapped up the scoring with 6 minutes left. (photo: Colin Shorrock)

Cardiff City caused the upset of the day, enjoying a fine 2-0 success over National Division Watford in Group 3. With 10 minutes played of the second half, Natasha Harding ran onto a through-ball and managed to elude the onrushing defender to fire low past Lauren Davey. Cardiff delivered a killer blow with 20 minutes left, as Lisa Bird ran onto another defence-splitting pass and despite taking the ball wide, finished very calmly into the far corner.

Coventry City led Aston Villa at the break through Katy Ward penalty on 15 minutes but ended up having to settle for a 1-1 draw. Jade Formaston twice hit the bar for the hosts but with Erin Vaughan levelled on 63 minutes, with a wind-assisted effort from long-distance. Villa were denied a win at the death, as a deflected header from a corner hit the City bar.

Brighton beat Charlton 2-1 in Group 4, Albion taking a 29th-minute lead through Sarah Kempson but Stef Simmonds hit an unstoppable equaliser on 55 minutes. After 76 minutes,  Brighton regained the lead as Kempson`s cross hit the bar and fell to Kim Stenning, who fired home from 6 yards.

Gillingham battled back from a 2-0 down to hold top-flight Millwall to a 2-2 draw. Leah Jones found the top corner for the visitors ahead on 15 minutes, the lead was doubled from a Sian Cheedy backpass, as an unfortunate bobble led to an air-shot by Becky Spencer. Ashlee Hinks pulled a goal back soon after, slotting home after a through ball from Danni Farmer. Natalie Crinian burst through with 12 minutes left to force an equaliser.

Leicester City WFC won 3-1 at Manchester City, Jo Potter and Courtney Sweetman-Kirk both hitting the post for the Foxes and at the other end, Leanne Hall, had to make a fine save to deny Lindsey Savage, to go into the interval goalless. Maz Gauntlett headed Leicester in front from a Natasha Meade cross, the hosts drew level in the 77th minute through Becky Grocott. A minute later, Sweetman-Kirk hit home a Zira Handley cross and then Meade settled it for the Foxes, as she drilled home a 25-yarder.

Also in the same group, Nottingham Forest saw off local rivals Derby County 4-1. But it was Marie Wayne that put the Rams in front before Jemma Connor-Iommi drew Forest level. Suzanne Davies, Lauren Cresswell and Ellie Gilliatt added second-half goals to save Forest blushes.

Portsmouth trailed twice to Keynsham Town in Group 6, before running out 4-2 winners. Goals by Naomi Clipston and Brianna Oeser brought replies from Lysette Russell and Justine Lorton, before Keri Ryan and Molly Clark saw Pompey through.

Yeovil Town's first ever fixture as a Premier League club saw them go down 2-0 at home to Reading. Michaela Howell struck twice in 10 minutes, midway through the first half, to ease the Royals home.

Yeovil manager Steve Phelps said; "I thought that we created some good chances to score, particularly in the closing stages, and could so easily have come away with a result. We have to be proud of that against a team from the National Division. I think that once we get used to the higher pace, we will thrive at this new level."

Leeds got their cup defence off to a mixed start, as they drew 1-1 with Sunderland in Group 7. Chloe Foster’s 13th minute opener for Leeds from a Carey Huegett lay-off was equalised by Abby Holmes on 68 minutes, from close range through a crowd of players.

Leeds City Vixens avenged a home league defeat to Newcastle last week, by winning 4-1 away. Tania Panesar bagged a brace, Rachel Unitt and Stacey Daniel also on target for the Vixens, Rachel Coleman having reduced the arrears at 2-1.

Back to FA WPL Cup
SSE WOMEN'S CUP FINAL: Players' Reaction
At Wembley Stadium on Saturday night, Manchester City finally got their hands on the much coveted FA Women’s Cup with a 4-1 victory over Birmingham City. CATHERINE ETOE reports with the views from the Mixed Zone... Read more


Neither are workable or likely at present but hypothetically, would you prefer a more strict salary cap in the FA WSL OR should centrally contracted England players (that receive salaries from The FA) be allocated more evenly around WSL1 clubs?

Please select from the below choices...

  • She Kicks